Wednesday 11 March 2015

Short Story: Moving | By:::: Victor Olugbemiro









From: (Ololade Olatunji)


Short Story: Moving | By: Victor Olugbemiro


… Daddy had been living in Lagos for the past four years and he felt it was time for his family to be with him. The journey was to be a road trip and the excitement in the air was almost tangible. The whole family shifted into preparation mode but with distinct concerns.

Daddy was constantly at the mechanic workshop to ensure that the car was in good condition for the journey. Mummy had more important things on her mind, like deciding what will be taken or left behind, and stocking the store with enough food to last a few weeks before we (more like Daddy) will send money to Aunty and Sina who were not going with us. 

Sina wasn't going because he had to sit for his Senior Secondary Certificate Examination, and Aunty wasn't going because she wasn't going.

Olamide was concerned with what only she knew, and me? I was concerned with what everyone was concerned about.

Sometimes I went with Daddy to the mechanic, and sometimes I stayed at home to help Mummy. At other times, I simply went out to play and enjoy the attention of my friends. We had discussions on what Lagos was like and sometimes this degenerated into arguments over ridiculous things such as the sizes of buildings, the number of cars and all such irrelevancies that would fascinate only 10 year olds. 

Naturally, they turned to me for answers. Of course, it didn't seem to matter that I had never been to Lagos and was as ignorant as my friends. What mattered was that I was going to Lagos and they were not. I guess that was supposed to make me know better.

At night as I lay in bed, I thought of the new friends I'd make and how everything was going to change. It scared me a little, but the prospect of a new town, new house, new school, new church, and new friends allayed my fears but kept me from sleeping most nights.





And so it was that though the days seemed long, and the nights longer still, d-day eventually came. The tears, laughter, and goodbyes of that day remain crystal clear in my memory. 

Our Peugeot 305 was packed full. Bags and boxes were in the boot, a table fan and various kitchen utensils were piled high in the backseat with just enough space for Olamide and I to sit.

We drove out of the compound at exactly 4pm amidst the cheers and waving of neighbours and friends. Anyone seeing us would have only seen four people in a car, loaded with all sorts, but deep within our hearts we carried much more than the eye could see, we carried hope.




*****************************************************************
Victor Olugbemiro loves literature, music and photography, among several other interests. He currently teaches in Lagos .

Twitter: @oluvickie





****************************************************************
Are you a writer? Interested in sharing your short stories on this
platform? Be our guest on our Short Story Fridays segment.
Email: ololade.olatunji@yahoo/ gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment